Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Simon Dark #3

I picked up issue #1 on a whim, and I was intrigued, so I picked up #2 with the same result. The story is compelling, the art is perfect (although panels of movement can often seem a little stale), and so, here I am, at issue #3. I'm kind of mad of at myself for liking this to be honest, because I still have no idea what's going on, or who Simon Dark is. We get a bit of a dream/flashback sequence in this, but we don't know if its real or just some fabrication from his obsession with books. I'm really intrigued by this character, and I'd love to see some strange kind of matriarchal relationship develop between Simon and Rachel Dodds. On the other hand, so much of the story focuses on Detective Tom Kritts and the mortician, and while I've enjoyed their story beats, I want to see more of Simon. I'd like at least something about him to be revealed soon, or else I'd like to see him capitalize more on his literary fascination, maybe by quoting from Poe or re-creating scenes somehow.
However, eyeball guy? Gross. Also intriguing, but gross. And Kritts smacking his eyeball? Awesome.

No comments: