Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Am America (And So Can You!

Stephen Colbert is funny. I feel this is a generally acknowledged fact. He's smart and funny, which makes him great, and this book is a fine example of that. I say "fine" because it's not a great or phenomenal example, but it's fine. Stephen Colbert really plays up his close-minded, arrogant conservative character quite well, but mostly goes for easy laughs based on the pure irony of everything he says. That's not to say it's not funny--Colbert is very clever (I especially enjoy his editorial comments throughout) but as much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think that it was all too....easy. Everything he said was obviously meant to be ironic, and as a result, succeeded in getting a silly smile out of me. Still, I would have liked to have seen him take his Conservative character even more over the top. I feel like any Conservative, close-minded American-pride-driven meathead that reads this will get that it's a joke, and enjoy it and laugh at it just as much as I did. However, I would have enjoyed it if it were written so that those meatheads actually sympathized with Colbert's character. Then arrogant Liberals like me could laugh at them and assert our self-important superiority over their simpleton minds that just "don't get it."

No comments: